2012/13 McIntyre Cup Grand Final – update days 1 & 2


2012/13 McIntyre Cup Grand Final – update days 1 & 2


We travelled across town to face rivals Sunbury United in the McIntyre Cup Grand Final in our first season back in the senior grade of the GDCA.


United won the toss and elected to bat.

Day 1

Dark clouds loom in the background as play gets underway with immediate success, SCC Captain Jason McGann leading the way breaking through in his first over. The Sunbury attack were well on top in the first hour as Jason captures another two wickets ably supported at the other end by Paul ‘Smoke’ Newton. Rain interrupts play after only 1 hour and 10 minutes of play, United at 3/50, 18 overs. With all the momentum Sunbury’s way, United’s Billinghurst, Watts and Morrison in the shed without troubling the scorers much, Powell somehow managing to survive a confident appeal on his first ball and Morse playing across the line, the rain storm couldn’t have come at a worse time.  Play resumed after an early tea only for a short time, this storm front was torrential, play abandoned for the day at 3/53, 19.2 overs.

Day 2

Day 2 proved to be extremely difficult for the Sunbury players and supporters alike. Heavy rain overnight and early morning showery conditions left the ground damp and the Antarctic like wind howling from the South West made for an uncomfortable day for all. And just as in 1990/91 Semi-final between these two clubs controversy dominates discussion at the end of the first full days play.

Bowling was tough going especially from the Northern end, the run ups and out field slippery. Without losing an early wicket United steadily built their total taking advantage of their small ground. Steve Treweek (11o,4m, 0/39) proving to be a player of the future bowled an honest spell with out luck. Paul Newton (26o,5m,1/76) having to resort to a shortened run up breaks through bowling Morse (64) but as the blustery conditions worsen so does the look of the scoreboard. Heath Boffey (13o, 1m, 1/43) and Brad Hunter (9o, 1m, 0/35) find the going almost impossible bowling into the gale. The partnership between Powell (102) and Dowsett (71) set United up for a substantial total.

After tea the pitch and field dried out considerably and with the new ball Sunbury found its way back on track again, Jason McGann leading the charge. As United skipper Hughes was taking the bowling on and scoring quickly, Jason in attempt to stem the run rate bowls a brute of a delivery striking Hughes to the jaw. In controversial circumstances the wicket is broken and Hughes stumbles to the ground. After heated debate involving both captains, the call from the umpires is not out, sending club officials reaching for the rule books and supporters from both sides in disagreement.

Hughes (20) left the field retired hurt, soon after Jason picks up his 5th wicket, ending the days play for United at 7/292 off 99 overs. Jason McGann finished the day with an impressive (32.5o, 11m, 5/59) in an inspiring display. Hughes was reported in the press to have suffered only a minor injury requiring four stitches and is set to resume next week.

Sunbury are looking to strike early when play resumes and begin the run chase to victory.


12-13 Mc pic

 Come down and support the team next Saturday at Langama Park, 1.00pm start.

Wear your blue shirt (or ski jacket!), join the “Blue Army”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s